DJI Launches the Mavic 3 Pro, Its First Ever Tri-Camera Drone
BY Zacc Dukowitz25 April 2023
Today DJI launched the Mavic 3 Pro.
It’s the first drone DJI has ever made with a triple camera system—that is, it comes with three different optical cameras in one.
The three cameras that come with the Mavic 3 Pro are:
- A Hasselblad wide-angle camera—also comes with the Mavic 3
- A tele camera—also comes with the Mavic 3, but has enhanced resolution and zoom capabilities on the Mavic 3 Pro
- A medium tele camera—brand new on the Mavic 3 Pro
The Mavic 3 Pro’s triple camera combination gives users the ability to switch between shot composition with just one tap, allowing content creators a wider variety of shots in less time than ever before. We can’t wait to see the end result of how people use the drone to alter the viewers’ perception of space and distance.
– Ferdinand Wolf, Creative Director at DJI
There are already six versions of the Mavic 3 on the market—the Cine, the Standard, the Classic, the Enterprise, the Thermal, and the Multi-Spectral.
The release of the Mavic 3 Pro brings the total up to eight, adding both the Mavic 3 Pro and the Mavic 3 Pro Cine to the list.
How Much Does the Mavic 3 Pro Cost?
The lowest price for the DJI Mavic 3 Pro is $2,199. For that price you get the drone and the DJI RC remote controller.
Here are the two other purchase options for the Mavic 3 Pro:
- Mavic 3 Pro Fly More Combo, DJI RC—$2,999. This combo comes with the DJI RC remote controller, two additional batteries, a charging hub, an ND filters set, and other accessories.
- Mavic 3 Pro Fly More Combo, DJI RC Pro—$3,889. This combo comes with the DJI RC Pro remote controller + the accessories listed above for the DJI RC combo.
Pricing for the Mavic 3 Pro Cine
Just like the Mavic 3 Cine, the Mavic 3 Pro Cine is only available as part of a combo.
That combo is the Mavic 3 Pro Cine Premium Combo, and it sells for $4,799—more than double what the intro Mavic 3 Pro option costs.
With that hefty price tag you get:
- Apple ProRes Support—the Mavic 3 Pro Cine drone’s three cameras support Apple ProRes 422 HQ, Apple ProRes 422, and Apple ProRes 422 LT encoding.
- The DJI RC Pro remote controller, an ND filters set, a built-in 1 TB SSD, a 10Gbps light speed cable, and various other accessories.
Specs & Features for the Mavic 3 Pro
Here are the specs for the Mavic 3 Pro:
- Flight time. 43 minutes.
- Transmission. 9.3 miles (15km) video transmission at 1080p/60fps provided by DJI’s O3+ transmission system.
- Cameras. As we’ve already covered, the Mavic 3 Pro comes with three cameras—scroll down for details about each one.
- Obstacle avoidance. Omnidirectional obstacle sensing with eight wide-angle vision sensors and APAS 5.0.
Here are some of the top features for the Mavic 3 Pro:
- Automatic flight features, including Waypoint Flight, Cruise Control, and Advanced RTH.
- Intelligent flight modes, including MasterShots, QuickShots, and Panorama.
- The Mavic 3 also comes with FocusTrack, which includes ActiveTrack 5.0, Spotlight, and Point of Interest.
About the Mavic 3 Pro’s Three Cameras
The Mavic 3 Pro’s three cameras have three different focal lengths (24mm/70mm/166mm), allowing creators to capture a variety of shots from the same aerial location with multi-scenario capabilities.
Whether . . . establishing the environment with the wide-angle, moving in to a specific location with the medium tele and then focusing on a particular area or character, each camera gives the user full control of telling their unique visual story.
– DJI release statement
Here’s some more information about each of the three cameras that comes with the Mavic 3 Pro.
Hasselblad Wide-angle Camera
The Mavic 3 Pro comes with the same 4/3″ CMOS Hasselblad camera as the Mavic 3, which has a 24mm focal length and supports shooting 12-bit RAW photos with a native dynamic range of up to 12.8 stops.
With the camera you also get Hasselblad’s Natural Color Solution (HNCS), which was made to accurately restore the colors the human eye perceives, allowing you to get beautiful shots without post-production and complex color presets.
Here’s an example photo shot on the Hasselblad:
The tele camera that comes with the Mavic 3 has been improved for the Mavic 3 Pro, and comes with better resolution and video frame rate, as well as enhanced aperture, going from f4.4 to f3.4.
The tele camera on the Mavic 3 Pro has a focal length of 166mm, and can shoot video at 4K/60fps with 7x optical zoom and photos at 12MP.
It also has a hybrid zoom of up to 28x, allowing you to zoom in and get closeups from a long ways away from your subject, making it a good option for wildlife photography since you can hover at a distance without disturbing the animals you’re photographing or videoing.
Here’s an example photo shot on the tele camera:
Medium Tele Camera
The medium tele camera is completely new for the Mavic 3 Pro, and comes with a focal length of 70mm.
It comes with a 1/1.3″ CMOS sensor and 3x optical zoom. It can shoot video at 4K/60fps and photos at 48MP/12MP.
The medium tele also supports the new D-log M and can be used to create beautiful Hyperlapse videos.
Here’s an example photo shot on the medium tele camera: