DJI Launches the Mavic 3 Classic, a Cheaper Version of the Mavic 3 that Still Packs a Punch
BY Zacc Dukowitz3 November 2022
Today, after several leaks and a recent FCC filing, DJI launched the Mavic 3 Classic.
As anticipated, the Classic is a less expensive, somewhat toned down version of the Mavic 3.
The biggest difference between the Mavic 3 and the Mavic 3 Classic is that the Classic has just one camera, while the Mavic 3 has two. (The camera that was dropped for the Classic has a telephoto lens.)
In exchange, the price is considerably lower, which may make the Classic a more approachable option for drone pilots looking for a high quality prosumer drone.
So just how much cheaper is the Mavic 3 Classic?
Here are the three packages DJI is offering for the Mavic 3 Classic:
- Just the drone, no controller included—$1,469
- The drone + the DJI RC-N1 controller—$1,599
- The drone + the DJI RC controller—$1,749
The three options for buying the Mavic 3 are the Mavic 3 by itself for $2,049, the Mavic 3 Fly More Combo for $2,849, and the Mavic 3 Cine Premium Combo for $4,999.
Note: If you buy the Classic on the DJI site you get free shipping and 1% DJI Credit back.
Specs and Features for the Mavic 3 Classic
The two biggest selling points for the Mavic 3 Classic are that it has the same high quality tech that comes with the Mavic 3 and that it comes with the same 4/3” CMOS Hasselblad camera that comes with the Mavic 3 (though it doesn’t have the Mavic 3 Tele camera, as we mentioned above).
So what do we mean by high quality tech? Just like the Mavic 3, the Classic has a super long flight time of 46 minutes, 03+ transmission, and automatic tracking and framing.
Here are the main specs and features for the DJI Mavic 3 Classic:
- Camera. 4/3” CMOS Hasselblad camera with 5.1K/50fps and 4K/120fps
- Flight time. 46 minutes max.
- Hovering time. 40 minutes max.
- Transmission. O3+ transmission system allows for clear transmission up to 9.3 miles (15km), with a 1080p/60fps live feed.
- Obstacle sensing. Omnidirectional obstacle sensing with APAS 5.0, including horizontal, upward, and downward obstacle detection.
- Batteries. Compatible with Mavic 3 batteries.
The Classic also features Advanced RTH (Return to Home), allowing it to automatically determine the optimal route back to its home point.
In addition, it can fly to a designated altitude and then find a safe and efficient route back home, combining the advantages of Advanced RTH and traditional RTH so you can choose the best option for your needs.
About the Mavic 3 Classic’s Hasselblad Aerial Camera
Swedish camera company Hasselblad created the L2D-20c aerial camera just for the Mavic 3 Series, embedding a professional-grade 4/3” CMOS in an efficient, compact design.
This is the same camera that comes with the Mavic 3 Standard, which means you get the same high quality imagery as you can capture with the Standard, you just don’t get a telephoto lens.
Here are some key details you should know about the L2D-20c:
- 20 MP effective pixels
- 12-bit RAW image color depth
- 12.8-stop for native dynamic range helps retain more details in highlights and shadows.
- f/2.8-f/11 adjustable aperture allows for shooting in a range of lighting environments, including those that are poorly lit
- 24mm equivalent focal length
- 10-bit D-Log for natural color gradations, allowing for more highlight and shadow details
Here are some additional modes and features that come with the Mavic 3 Classic’s camera:
Night Mode supports recording video at night, optimizing footage in low-light scenarios such as sunsets and sunrises and reducing noise, allowing for cleaner shots.
Vision Detection Auto Focus (VDAF)
VDAF uses multiple vision sensors to utilize distance data and optimize focusing speed, allowing for faster focusing.
Hasselblad Natural Color Solution (HNCS)
HNCS is embedded in the L2D-20c, ensuring that every pixel of the sensor is calibrated. According to Hasselblad, HCNS “delivers vivid, natural colors with the simple press of the shutter, allowing you to capture breathtaking landscapes or an evening glow without the need for complicated editing or color presets.”