Drone Laws in Zimbabwe
Drone regulations and links for people flying drones in Zimbabwe.
Zimbabwe Drone Regulations
According to Zimbabwe’s national aviation authority, the Civil Aviation Authority of Zimbabwe (CAAZ), flying a drone is legal in Zimbabwe, but we recommend being aware of and compliant with the drone regulations listed below before doing so.
Special Travel Considerations
To enter Zimbabwe with a drone you must apply to the CAAZ at least 30 days prior to your arrival date with the following information:
- Name and address of the drone owner
- Model, serial number, and manufacturer of the drone
- Weight and specs for the drone
- Country where the drone is already registered, if applicable
- What the drone will be used for n Zimbabwe
- Planned length for the planned temporary import
- Flight plan details
After receiving approval from the CAAZ, foreigners also need to obtain a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) from the Zimbabwe Revenue Authority.
If you’d like to contact the CAAZ directly before you travel with any questions you might have, here is their contact information:firstname.lastname@example.org / +263 4 585 073
Why fly a drone in Zimbabwe? To get aerial shots of beautiful spots like this!
General Rules for Flying a Drone in Zimbabwe
Based on our research and interpretation of the laws, here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Zimbabwe.
- Foreigners who want to temporarily import and fly a drone must follow the steps laid out in the section above. Citizens who want to fly a drone in Zimbabwe must obtain a Letter of Approval from the CAAZ.
- Drones may fly up to 120 meters (400 feet).
- Drones may fly a a maximum distance from the pilot of 500 meters (1,640 feet), and up to 1,000 meters (3,280 feet) with special permission and a qualified visual observer assisting.
- Drones may not be flown at night without approval from the CAAZ.
- Drones may not be flown within 5 kilometers (3 miles) of any airport or airfield.
- Drone insurance is mandatory.
For more information on Zimbabwe’s drone laws, visit the CAAZ’s website.
Know something we don’t about drone laws in Zimbabwe? Send us an email at support[at]uavcoach[dot]com. We are not international aviation attorneys and do our best to keep this page up-to-date for drone pilots, but the reality is that given the pace of the small unmanned aerial system (sUAS) industry and how governments are responding, drone regulations in Zimbabwe can change throughout the year, and those changes can be hard to track. If we missed something, please reach out to let us know.
Want to get a feel for the kind of footage you could get flying a drone in Zimbabwe? Here you go: