Drone Laws in Netherlands
Drone regulations and links for people flying drones in Netherlands.
Netherland Drone Regulations
According to the Netherlands’ national aviation authority, the Netherlands Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), flying a drone is legal in the Netherlands, but we recommend being aware of and compliant with the drone regulations listed below before doing so.
If you’d like to contact the DGCA directly before you travel with any questions you might have, here is their contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org / +31 70 351 6171
Why fly a drone in the Netherlands? To get great aerial shots like these!
General Rules for Flying a Drone in the Netherlands
Based on our research and interpretation of the laws, here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in the Netherlands.
- Commercial drone operations in the Netherlands require the drone pilot to hold a pilot’s license, and the company / organization overseeing the operation to hold a permit to fly. Learn more about these requirements here.
- Drones may not fly more than 120 meters (394 feet) above the ground or the water.
- Drone pilots must give priority to all other aircraft, such as airplanes, helicopters, gliders, et cetera. This means that you must land immediately once you see an aircraft approaching.
- Drones must fly at a safe distance from people and buildings.
- Drones must maintain a visual line of sight with their drone during operations.
- Drones may not be flown at night.
- Drone insurance is required for all drone operations in the Netherlands.
For more information on the Netherlands’ drone laws, see this page on the official website of the government of the Netherlands.
Know something we don’t about drone laws in the Netherlands? Send us an email at support[at]uavcoach[dot]com. We are not international aviation attorneys and do our best to keep this page up-to-date for drone pilots, but the reality is that given the pace of the small unmanned aerial system (sUAS) industry and how governments are responding, drone regulations in the Netherlands can change throughout the year, and those changes can be hard to track. If we missed something, please reach out to let us know.
Want to get a feel for the kind of footage you could get flying a drone in the Netherlands? Here you go: