Drone Laws in Jamaica
Drone regulations and links for people flying drones in Jamaica.
Jamaica Drone Regulations
According to Jamaica’s national aviation authority, the Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority (JCAA), flying a drone is legal in Jamaica, but we recommend being aware of and compliant with the drone regulations listed below before doing so.
If you’d like to contact the JCAA directly before you travel with any questions you might have, here is their contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org / +1 (876) 960-3948, 960-3965
Why fly a drone in Jamaica? To get great aerial shots like these!
General Rules for Flying a Drone in Jamaica
Based on our research and interpretation of the laws, here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Jamaica.
- Do not fly drones at heights exceeding 400 feet (122 meters).
- Do not fly drones beyond a range of 1,640 feet (500 meters).
- You must keep your drone within visual sight at all times. “First Person View” technology does not satisfy this requirement.
- Do not fly over or within 500 feet (152 meters) of any crowd.
- Do not fly over or within 165 feet (50 meters) of any person excluding the drone operator or during take-off and landing procedures.
- Drones may not be operated on public or private property without prior authorization.
- Do not fly within 3 miles (5,000 meters) of any airport, helipad, or airport.
- Do not fly drones at night or during conditions with low visibility.
- Drones may not be used to drop or discharge items to the ground.
- Drones may not be operated in restricted or prohibited airspace.
Additional Requirements for Professional UAV Operators in Jamaica
The following requirements apply to persons or companies which operate UAVs for any non-recreational purpose, commercial or noncommercial, including business-related activities such as, but not limited to, aerial photography, surveillance, geometric surveys, power line inspections, crop observations, research, and development activities.
- Apply to the JCAA in writing for approval, providing all details of the intended operation
- Do not fly the aircraft, unless written permission has been received from the JCAA, stating any applicable restrictions or conditions
For more information on Jamaica’s drone laws, see this document issued by the JCAA.
Know something we don’t about drone laws in Jamaica? Send us an email at email@example.com. We are not international aviation attorneys and do our best to keep this page up-to-date for drone pilots, but the reality is that given the pace of the small unmanned aerial system (sUAS) industry and how governments are responding, drone regulations in Jamaica can change throughout the year, and those changes can be hard to track. If we missed something, please reach out to let us know.
Want to get a feel for the kind of footage you could get flying a drone in Jamaica? Here you go: