Drone Laws in Ireland
Drone regulations and links for people flying drones in Ireland.
Ireland Drone Regulations
According to Ireland’s national aviation authority, Irish Aviation Authority (IAA), flying a drone is legal in Ireland, but we recommend being aware of and compliant with the drone regulations listed below before doing so.
If you’d like to contact the IAA directly before you travel with any questions you might have, here is their contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org / +353 1 671 8655
Why fly a drone in Ireland? To get great aerial shots like these!
General Rules for Flying a Drone in Ireland
Based on our research and interpretation of the laws, here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Ireland.
- If you plan to fly above 15 meters (49 feet) and your drone weighs more than 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) you must register your drone. You can register on the IAA’s website here.
- As best we can tell, the same rules apply to recreational and commercial drone operators, with no special licensing or permit requirements for commercial operations.
- Registered drones may not be flown above 120 meters (394 feet).
- Registered drones may not weigh more than 25 kilograms (55 pounds).
- Drone pilots must maintain a direct line of sight with their drone during operations, and may not fly more than 300 meters (984 feet).
- Drones may not fly within 5 kilometers (3 miles) of any airport.
- Drones may not fly within 30 meters (98.4 feet) of people, crowds, vehicles, or buildings.
- Drone insurance is recommended by the IAA, but is not legally required.
- Drones cannot be flown over national monuments.
- Drones may be flown
For more information on Ireland’s drone laws, see this page on the IAA’s website.
Know something we don’t about drone laws in Ireland? Send us an email at support[at]uavcoach[dot]com. We are not international aviation attorneys and do our best to keep this page up-to-date for drone pilots, but the reality is that given the pace of the small unmanned aerial system (sUAS) industry and how governments are responding, drone regulations in Ireland can change throughout the year, and those changes can be hard to track. If we missed something, please reach out to let us know.
Want to get a feel for the kind of footage you could get flying a drone in Ireland? Here you go: