Drone Laws in Belize
Drone regulations and links for people flying drones in Belize.
Belize Drone Regulations
According to Belize’s national aviation authority, the Belize Department of Civil Aviation (BDCA), flying a drone is legal in Belize, but we recommend being aware of and compliant with the drone regulations listed below before doing so.
Special Travel Considerations
If you’re traveling to Belize and want to bring your drone, the BDCA lists these special considerations for foreigners who want to fly drones:
- Currently, Belize is only providing authorization to fly UAVs to those foreigners who have been commissioned for works / services from an approved local business / organization in Belize.
- If you have approval from a local business / organization for work in Belize, the next step to obtain authorization from the BDCA is to submit a letter to the Director of Civil Aviation stating the purpose of the works and services being provided by the drone operator from the said business / organization who has commissioned these services in Belize. This letter must be emailed to both of these email addresses: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is what to include in the letter:
- The company or organization requesting the work.
- The date of arrival in Belize.
- Specific places where the proposed flight(s) will take place.
- A completed Drone Application Form, which can be obtained by sending a request via email to: email@example.com
If you’d like to contact the BDCA directly before you travel with any questions you might have, here is their contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org / +501 225 2052 / Online Contact Form
Why fly a drone in Belize? To get great aerial shots like these!
General Rules for Flying a Drone in Belize
Based on our research and interpretation of the laws, here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Belize.
- Drone operations are not generally allowed within Belize without direct authorization from the BDCA. This authorization can be obtained by following the steps laid out in the section above.
- Drone operations are prohibited within 3 miles of any airport or airfield.
This is the only information we’ve been able to find about drone laws in Belize. To learn more about Belize’s drone laws, see this page on the BDCA website.
Know something we don’t about drone laws in Belize? Send us an email at email@example.com. We are not international aviation attorneys and do our best to keep this page up-to-date for drone pilots, but the reality is that given the pace of the small unmanned aerial system (sUAS) industry and how governments are responding, drone regulations in Belize can change throughout the year, and those changes can be hard to track. If we missed something, please reach out to let us know.
Want to get a feel for the kind of footage you could get flying a drone in Belize? Here you go: