Drone Laws in Ghana
Drone regulations and links for people flying drones in Ghana.
Ghana Drone Regulations
According to Ghana’s national aviation authority, the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA), flying a drone is legal in Ghana, but we recommend being aware of and compliant with the drone regulations listed below before doing so.
If you’d like to contact the GCAA directly before you travel with any questions you might have, here is their contact information: email@example.com / +233 21 776 177
Why fly a drone in Ghana? To get great aerial shots like these!
General Rules for Flying a Drone in Ghana
Based on our research and interpretation of the laws, here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Ghana.
- All drones must be registered with the GCAA. Registration fees may cost up to $4,000, and failure to register a drone can result in a 30 year prison term.
- Do not fly within 10 kilometers (6 miles) of airports or helipads.
- Do not fly drones higher that 400 feet vertically.
- Visual line of sight must be maintained with drones.
- Drone insurance is required.
- Drones may only be operated at night with a special permit from the GCAA.
- Drones may not fly in restricted areas.
- Goods may not be dropped or transported via drone without prior special authorization.
- Drone operator must be at least 18 years of age.
- Flight into icy conditions is prohibited.
- Drones may not be operated in congested areas of cities, towns, or settlements. Additionally drones may not be flown over crowds.
- Drones may not fly within a 30 meter (98 feet) radius of buildings or vehicles without prior express permission.
For more information on Ghana’s drone laws, see this document issued by the GCAA.
Know something we don’t about drone laws in Ghana? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are not international aviation attorneys and do our best to keep this page up-to-date for drone pilots, but the reality is that given the pace of the small unmanned aerial system (sUAS) industry and how governments are responding, drone regulations in Ghana can change throughout the year, and those changes can be hard to track. If we missed something, please reach out to let us know.
Want to get a feel for the kind of footage you could get flying a drone in Ghana? Here you go: