Looking for Something To Do? Check Out this List of Drone Webinars Happening Over the Next Month
BY Zacc Dukowitz9 April 2020
Zoom may be having its moment in these quarantined days as a platform for calling friends and hosting virtual meetings, but the webinar is also seeing a huge surge in popularity.
This month there are over a dozen free webinars being offered in the drone industry, and more seem to pop up every day. Some companies are hosting just a single webinar, while others are hosting an entire webinar series.
So if you’re looking for something to do to pass the time right now, look no further than this master list of drone webinars being offered over the next four weeks.
Note: We’ve organized these webinars chronologically to help you plan your time.
Webinars the Week of Monday, April 6—Friday, April 10
Flyability—Learn How API and ASME Experts Are Working to Expand Drone Inspection Applications
- Time: Thursday, April 9 at 10:30 A.M. EST
- Featured Speakers: Luis Pulgarin, Project Engineering Advisor at ASME; Suzanne Lemieux, Manager, Operations Security & Emergency Response Policy at API
- Description: Find out what the future looks like for indoor drone inspections. Join us for a webinar featuring speakers working to shape UAS standards at the American Petroleum Institute (API) and the American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
SkyFire Consulting—Drone Pilots: How to Secure FAA Complex Waivers
- Time: Thursday, April 9 at 12:00 P.M. EST
- Featured Speakers: Key SkyFire Consulting Personnel
- Description: Join us for a class on FAA Complex Waivers, led by the drone experts at SkyFire. Topics to be covered include 1) The landscape for Part 107 waivers, including beyond visual line of sight, flight over people, night waivers and over 55 pound waivers; and 2) Results from the FAA’s Integration Partnership Program (IPP), and what those who were not involved in the program can expect going forward.
Webinars the Week of Monday, April 13—Friday, April 17
Flyability—How Country-of-Origin Drone Bans Impact U.S. Companies & Agencies Including Public Safety Agencies Fighting COVID-19
- Time: Tuesday, April 14 at 11:30 A.M. EST
- Featured Speakers: Jordan Gross, Senior Government Relations Lead at DJI; Romeo Durscher, Senior Director of Public Safety Integration at DJI
- Description: In this webinar, we’ll take a close look at the ways that current and potential policies that ban drones and drone components based solely on where they are manufactured could impact various industries in the U.S. as well as public safety agencies that are actively fighting the spread of COVID-19.
Kespry—How Grinnell Mutual Implemented Drone-Based Cloud Analytics
- Time: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 1 P.M. EST
- Featured Speakers: Paul Boonstra, Director of Commercial Claims at Grinnell Mutual
- Description: Grinnell Mutual, a leading property casualty insurance company and the nation’s largest primary reinsurer of farm mutual companies, made the decision to use the Kespry drone-based platform for residential and commercial property roof inspections. With Kespry, they’re significantly reducing inspection time, expediting claims processes, minimizing loss adjustment expenses, and enhancing customer satisfaction.
DJI—UAVs in Oil & Gas: How Drones Assist in Asset Integrity Management
- Time: Thursday, April 16 at 2:30 P.M. GMT+8
- Featured Speakers: Alex Xie, Global Oil & Gas Manager at DJI; Eli Moselle, CEO at Halo Robotics; Johannes Soekidi, Managing Director at Halo Robotics
- Description: Drone technology is rapidly becoming essential for a wide variety of industries across the world. In particular, drones are making a huge difference in the Oil & Gas industry where they are being deployed for Asset Integrity Management. This webinar will share cutting-edge solutions deployed by DJI and Halo Robotics in Indonesia where they assist Pertamina EP in asset inspection and assessment.
Skyward—Drone Fundamentals 101: DJI Inspire & Matrice 210
- Time: Thursday, April 16 at 2 P.M. EST
- Featured Speakers: Rodney Murray, Professional Services Consultant at Skyward; Paul Baur, Professional Services Consultant at Skyward; Sally Huynh, Customer Marketing at Skyward
- Description: Join us, virtually, with our professional services team as they guide you through the fundamental differences between the DJI Inspire and Matrice 210.Usually, these classes are conducted in-person and followed up with hands-on flight training ‒ but we know that’s not possible right now.
Webinars the Week of Monday, April 20—Friday, April 24
Flyability—Indoor 3D Modeling: Application & Implications
- Time: Tuesday, April 21 at 10:30 A.m. EST
- Featured Speakers: Andrew McIntyre, Technical Trainer and mapping expert at Pix4D; Marc Gandillon, Head of Marketing at Flyability
- Description: In this webinar, Marc will walk you through the different photogrammetry applications being used by the indoor drone community. In turn, Andrew will talk about different considerations for optimizing your data capture when attempting to build 3D models of indoor spaces using photogrammetry.
GITA (Geospatial Information & Technology Association)—Wide Area Infrastructure Mapping Using a Fixed Wing VTOL Drone
- Time: Tuesday, April 21 at 1:30 P.M. EST
- Featured Speakers: Trent Casi, Key Account Executive at Wingtra; Stephanie Lambert, Business Development at Wingtra
- Description: This webinar will present the applications for using a fixed wing VTOL drone for mapping infrastructure assets in the energy industry. Comparisons will be made using a quad-copter vs a fixed wing platform discussing the pros/cons of both. Workflows for project setup, flying, image collection, image processing, and analytics will be presented.
GeoCue—Drone Deployed 3D Imaging Systems (LIDAR/Cameras)
- Time: Tuesday, April 21 at 2 P.M. EST
- Featured Speakers: Key GeoCue Personnel
- Description: This webinar will discuss the True View Ecosystem, including a detailed discussion of the True View 410 system as well as the business models for deployment. Demonstrations will also cover advanced topics such as ground classification, noise filtering, data smoothing, and generating derived products in True View Evo.
Flyability—How to Build and Scale a Drone Program at Your Company
- Time: Wednesday, April 22 at 10:30 A.m. EST
- Featured Speakers: Calvin Rieb, Head of Global Unmanned Systems at Cargill; James Manni, Program Manager of Unmanned Aircraft Systems at Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)
- Description: Want to build a drone program at your company? Join this webinar for insights into how some of the largest companies in the world have built their drone programs from the ground up, and the work they continue to do to scale their program internally once it’s established.
Webinars the Week of Monday, April 27—Friday, May 1
Commercial UAV News—How Will COVID-19 Impact the Present and Future of the Drone Industry?
- Time: Tuesday, April 28 at 11:00 A.M. EST
- Featured Speakers: Brandon Torres Declet, CEO and Co-Founder of Measure; Paul New, Executive Director and Co-Founder of The Institute for Drone Technology™ and iLearnDrones®; Ian Smith, Co-Founder and CEO of Ware; Lisa Ellman, Chairs the Global Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Group at the global law firm Hogan Lovells
- Description: COVID-19 has already reshaped the ways countless businesses function, but the fallout and ramifications of the pandemic that brought the global economy to a standstill are just beginning to be felt. What has this situation taught us about how drones can be utilized in emergency situations? Join a panel of experts to discuss these topics and many others, followed by a live Q&A session with the audience.
GUTMA (Global UTM Association)—Cellular Networks as a Fabric for Aviation Functions
- Time: Wednesday, April 29 at 12 P.M. EST
- Featured Speakers: Mark David, Former VP at Intel; Professor Gabriel Rebeiz,Distinguished Professor and the Wireless Communications Industry Endowed Chair at the University of California
- Description: Cellular networks can provide more than just communication and positioning services. More generally, they include a broad array of physical sites with tower, power, backhaul, interconnect, local sensors, agile radios, and hierarchically distributed computing. This can serve as a fabric for the deployment of a wide range of aviation services. This webinar will summarize the diverse possibilities, and delve into emerging examples.
Dedrone—Stopping Unauthorized Drones at Correctional Facilities
- Time: Thursday, April 30 at 1 P.M. EST
- Featured Speakers: Key Dedrone Personnel
- Description: Sheriff and police departments provide drone detection to their local prisons, as they’ve seen an increase in contraband deliveries onto their facilities. Even with elaborate security provisions on the ground, an extension of their security systems was necessary. Dropping contraband into courtyards poses a serious threat to inmate and prison employees – a risk many correctional facilities cannot afford to ignore.
Webinars Available for On-Demand Viewing
Want more? Here are drone-related webinars that already happened, in case you’d like to view the recording:
- AUVSI: Coronavirus Relief Package: What Unmanned Systems Businesses Need to Know
- FAA: How Does a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) Affect my Drone Flight?
- FAA: How to Fly Your Drone in the Air Safely
- FAA: How to Identify and Operate in Class E Airspace
See a full list of the FAA’s on-demand webinars here.
Did we miss one? Let us know if there’s a drone webinar we forgot to include by chiming in on this thread in the UAV Coach community forum.