Drone Laws in the Solomon Islands
Drone regulations and links for people flying drones in the Solomon Islands.
Solomon Islands Drone Regulations
According to the Solomon Islands’s national aviation authority, the Solomon Islands Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation (MTCA), flying a drone is legal in Solomon Islands, but we recommend being aware of and compliant with the drone regulations listed below before doing so.
If you’d like to contact the MTCA directly before you travel with any questions you might have, here is their contact information: MTCA Contact Form / +677 28 049
Why fly a drone in the Solomon Islands? To get great aerial shots like these!
General Rules for Flying a Drone in the Solomon Islands
Based on our research and interpretation of the laws, here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in the Solomon Islands.
- Permission from the MTCA is required to fly any drone weighing over 25 kilograms (55 lbs).
- Drones may not be operated within 4 kilometers (2.4 miles) of any airport or airfield.
- Drones may not be flown more than 122 meters (400 feet) above the ground.
- Drone pilots must maintain a direct line of visual sight with their drone while flying.
- Drones must be flown below the cloud base.
- Drones must give way to all manned aircraft.
- To fly a drone over private property you must first obtain permission from the property owner.
For more information on the Solomon Islands’ drone laws, visit the MTCA website.
Know something we don’t about drone laws in the Solomon Islands? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are not international aviation attorneys and do our best to keep this page up-to-date for drone pilots, but the reality is that given the pace of the small unmanned aerial system (sUAS) industry and how governments are responding, drone regulations in the Solomon Islands can change throughout the year, and those changes can be hard to track. If we missed something, please reach out to let us know.
Want to get a feel for the kind of footage you could get flying a drone in Solomon Islands? Here you go: