Become a UAV Coach (Part-Time) Drone Flight Instructor
BY Zacc Dukowitz8 February 2021
Are you an amazing drone pilot AND love to teach?
UAV Coach is currently seeking a part-time flight instructor in these locations:
Read on to learn more about UAV Coach and the part-time flight instructor position, or jump to the bottom of this page to apply.
Who we are
Founded in 2014 and based in Nashville, TN, UAV Coach is a leading training, education, and news company for professionals and hobbyists in the drone industry. Our mission is to help drone pilots be safe and smart operators.
The commercial drone industry is growing quickly. Whether it’s a medical company doing last-mile blood delivery, a fire department that needs to safely monitor wildfires, a farmer who wants data on his crops, or a construction company that needs progress reports on its sites, organizations in a multitude of industries are using drones to capture images, video and data from the air to save time, to save money and even to save lives. We train and educate the drone pilots who do these jobs.
We work with a friendly and experienced team of 20+ drone flight instructors nationwide and are looking to add new instructors in select locations.
Across our two websites — UAVCoach.com and DronePilotGroundSchool.com — we get over 500,000 monthly pageviews.
We provide both online and in-person training courses and also report on industry news to an email subscriber base of 50,000 drone enthusiasts. Over 30,000 people have used our flagship training course, Drone Pilot Ground School, to pass the FAA Part 107 exam. In 2019, we were selected by the Federal Aviation Administration to serve on an advisory team that aided in developing a future knowledge and safety test for recreational drone pilots.
Notable clients include Intel, The Wall Street Journal, General Electric, The Nature Conservancy, Lockheed Martin, Keller Williams, and many other corporations as well as many universities, government agencies, public safety departments, small businesses, and solo entrepreneurs.
We’re a family-run company with a fully remote team that values integrity, a growth mindset, and a can-do attitude.
What you will do
Note: This is a part-time, independent contractor role.
As a Drone Flight Instructor for UAV Coach, you will lead on-site flight training classes in your local area. In this role, you’ll teach people who are seeking to sharpen their flying and real-world operational skills and also provide industry-leading instruction, student mentorship, guidance, and expertise on the theory and practice of unmanned flight.
In a typical month, you will teach 1-2 drone flight classes in a private session with one, two, or three students. Each session lasts 2-3 hours.
Specifically, you will perform the following responsibilities:
- Teach training sessions generally following our class outline
- Teach on DJI drones brought by students as well as provide your own DJI drone for training purposes.
- Tailor the instruction with flight safety as the first priority while ensuring that the student is a more confident pilot at the conclusion of the training.
- Keep your personal online calendar current and linked to our calendar software to ensure a seamless booking process for students.
- Review local weather forecasts and message the student to reschedule the class if necessary.
- Follow Covid-19 safety precautions, including wearing a mask and using hand sanitizer.
What we offer
- Flexible, remote work environment – training sessions are scheduled in your area, at locations of your choice, and around your schedule
- Compensation – starting at $60 / hour
- Insurance – liability insurance coverage during training sessions
- Network – join a fast-growing, dynamic, industry-leading team providing opportunities to connect with other company instructors nationwide
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for candidates who are confident in their drone flight skills and are ready to start training other people of varying skill levels.
This is not a train-on-the-job type of role.
A Drone Flight Instructor should exhibit the following competencies:
- Certified – you have been a certified Part 107 remote pilot for at least 6 months
- Skill – you regularly operate a DJI drone, have logged at least 25 flight hours in the past 6 months, have technical knowledge of DJI software, show a strong proficiency in drone mission planning & flight operations and are open to working with non-DJI drones
- Instructor – you have instruction or teaching experience in a technical field with a proven ability to connect with and inspire adult learners
- Connection – you possess excellent verbal & written communication skills and keep your personal online calendar (Google, Outlook or iCloud) current
- Availability – you are available at least one weekday morning / afternoon and one weekend morning / afternoon for training
- Work ethic – you are committed to providing a great experience for the customer, as well as to being a leader, a team player, and to executing with excellence
- Experience – you hold an Associate degree or higher and any military or Part 61 / 141 flight school or curriculum experience is a plus
How to apply
Please fill out the form for the city in which you would like to work: