Become a UAV Coach (Part-Time) Drone Flight Instructor
BY Zacc Dukowitz4 January 2022
Drone technology makes a meaningful difference in many industries around the globe. At UAV Coach, we serve the largest community of drone enthusiasts and commercial drone pilots in the nation. We strive to serve and empower our community with current information, resources and training solutions while also emphasizing safety and responsibility. And we’re just getting started! Join us and be a part of our growth story.
We are focused on these locations but open to applicants in other locations:
- Seattle, WA
- Houston, TX
- Atlanta, GA
- Westchester County, NY
- Sacramento, CA
- St. Louis, MO
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Oklahoma City, OK
- Cincinnati, OH
- Austin, TX
- Charlotte, NC
- Philadelphia, PA
Read on to learn more about UAV Coach and the part-time flight instructor position, or jump to the bottom of this page to apply.
Why is This Job Important?
Leading our students to gain confidence in their flight skills by delivering a fun, exciting, and impactful experience is how we will continue to grow our brand and community, one student at a time! The satisfaction and success of our students is paramount to our long term health as a company.
Who You Are
If you are an experienced drone pilot who loves flying, teaching, learning, and positively impacting others, please read on.
- You are passionate about drones, and you get excited to try out new software and hardware.
- You have a desire to be a part of a team of the best and the brightest instructors to continue to grow, learn, and expand your knowledge.
- You have a passion for teaching.
- You are confident in your drone flight skills and are ready to start training people of varying skill levels.
- You see training students as a way to keep your finger on the pulse of industry newcomers and keep you involved in pushing the industry forward.
- You enjoy the outdoors and the thrill that flying a drone can provide when you capture that perfect photo or video from the skies.
- You are available at least one weekday AND one weekend day, either morning or afternoon, during most weeks.
- You own at least 1 DJI consumer drone with at least 3 batteries, and are willing to use it during training.
- You are committed to providing a great experience for the student, as well as to being a team player, and to execute with excellence.
- In short…you’re a drone nerd like us!
Things You’ve Done in the Past
- You are certified and have been a Part 107 remote pilot for at least 1 year.
- You have regularly operated a DJI drone, have logged at least 25 flight hours in the past 6 months, have technical knowledge of DJI software, show a strong proficiency in drone mission planning & flight operations and are open to working with non-DJI drones.
- You hold an Associate degree or higher and any military or Part 61 / 141 flight school or curriculum experience is a plus.
- You have teaching experience in a technical field such as aerospace, technology, or aviation with a proven ability to connect with and inspire adult learners, easily bringing detailed concepts to light.
What You Will Do
Note: This is a part-time, independent contractor role. This is not a train-on-the-job type of role.
As a Drone Flight Instructor for UAV Coach, you will lead on-site flight training classes in your local area, where you’ll teach people who are seeking to sharpen their flying and real-world operational skills while building your own skills, resume, and network.
In this role, you will provide industry leading instruction, student mentorship, guidance, and expertise on the theory and practice of unmanned flight.
In a typical month, you will teach 1-2 drone flight classes in a private session with one, two or three students. Each session lasts 2-3 hours.
Specifically, you will perform the following responsibilities:
- Teach training sessions following our class outline: https://uavcoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/UAV-Coach-Sample-Flight-Lesson-Plan.pdf
- Teach on mostly DJI drones, either brought by students or your own.
- Tailor the instruction with flight safety as the first priority while ensuring that the student is a better and safer pilot at the conclusion of training.
- Keep your personal online calendar current and linked to our calendar software to ensure a seamless booking process for students.
- Review local weather forecasts and message the student to reschedule the class if necessary.
What Does Success Look Like in This Role?
- You exceed our students expectations and contribute in a meaningful way to our industry-leading customer satisfaction ratings.
- You demonstrate a desire for continuous improvement in your role as an instructor – learning, growing, staying on top of industry trends, and sharing with the rest of the team. High tide raises all ships!
- You drive word of mouth referrals based on the amazing instruction and customer experience you delivered.
- You are a brand ambassador for UAV Coach and Drone Pilot Ground School, representing the brands in your local area with class, integrity and distinction.
You have fun teaching how to fly drones, and make a positive impact on our students!
Who We Are
Founded in 2014, UAV Coach is a leading sUAS training company based in Nashville, TN. We teach individuals, teams and enterprise customers how to operate drones safely and legally. With 42,000 YouTube subscribers, 75,000+ email subscribers and hundreds of thousands of monthly website visitors, we’re an established voice in the UAS community with a wide-reaching online presence.
We are a fully remote team of 6 full-time employees and 30 contractors based around the U.S. We’re a family-run company that values integrity, a growth mindset and a can-do attitude.
This is How We Do It
Our primary services are:
- Drone Pilot Ground School – the #1 test prep course for the Part 107 exam. With 50,000+ customers, we’ve trained 1 in 6 of all U.S. remote pilots, more than anyone else. Launched in 2016, this course has a 99%+ pass rate and 3,000+ 5-star reviews.
- Nationwide in-person basic flight training. Since 2018, we’ve run over 2,000 in-person flight training classes via our 30 instructors, located in major cities coast-to-coast.
- FAA-approved Test Administrator of The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST). As one of the FAA’s approved partners for this mandatory training and test, we’ve had over 70,000 recreational pilots go through it on our site since launch in 2021.
- Drone industry news and guides. We maintain an online directory of drone laws in every state (and country) and a directory of legal and safe places to fly in 50+ U.S. cities, among many other resources.
What We Offer
- Flexible, remote work environment – training sessions are scheduled in your area, at locations of your choice and around your schedule
- Competitive Compensation – starting at $60 / hour
- Comprehensive Insurance – liability insurance coverage during training sessions
- Powerful Network – join a fast-growing, dynamic, industry-leading team providing opportunities to connect with other UAV Coach instructors nationwide
Professional Development – access UAV Coach professional tools and resources, along with tapping into our vast network to help you grow and succeed in your own drone career!
Ready to join our team? Apply Today!
Please fill out this form: https://uavcoach.typeform.com/to/w4STeXWI
The above form is the only way to apply for this job.