We’re Hiring a Marketing Director
BY Alan Perlman3 January 2020
Who We Are
Founded in 2014 and based in Nashville, TN, UAV Coach is a leading training, education and news company for professionals and hobbyists in the drone industry. Our mission is to help drone pilots be safe and smart operators.
The commercial drone industry is growing quickly. Whether it’s a medical company doing last-mile blood delivery, a fire department that needs to safely monitor wildfires, a farmer who wants data on his crops, or a construction company that needs progress reports on its sites, organizations in a multitude of industries are using drones to capture images, video and data from the air to save time, to save money and even to save lives. We train and educate the drone pilots who do these jobs.
Across our two websites — UAV Coach and Drone Pilot Ground School — we get over 500,000 monthly pageviews. We provide both online and in-person training courses and also report on industry news to an email subscriber base of 50,000 U.S. and international drone enthusiasts. Over 22,000 people have used our flagship training course, Drone Pilot Ground School, to pass the U.S. commercial drone pilot exam. Most recently, we were selected by the Federal Aviation Administration to serve on an advisory team that will aid in developing a knowledge and safety test for recreational drone pilots.
Notable clients include Intel, The Wall Street Journal, General Electric, The Nature Conservancy, Lockheed Martin, Keller Williams, and many other corporations as well as many universities, government agencies, public safety departments, small businesses and solo entrepreneurs.
We’re a fully remote team of 4 full-time employees, 2 part-time employees and 20 contractors around the U.S. We’re a family-run company that values integrity, a growth mindset and a can-do attitude.
What You Will Do
Marketing has always been at the heart of our growth and vision as a company. As the Marketing Director, you will be responsible for growing our online audience and industry relationships, optimizing our marketing channels and driving new growth marketing initiatives. This is a full-time role that requires you to both think strategically and execute tactically.
As the Marketing Director, you will:
- Own our existing calendar of marketing initiatives, content production and campaigns across digital channels including site, email, organic search, social media and affiliate partnerships.
- Set and execute new growth strategies.
- Manage two remote employees and hire / manage additional freelancers as needed to achieve company goals.
What We Offer
- Flexible, remote work environment — as long as you’re located between Pacific and Eastern time, you can do your work from anywhere while maintaining consistent, responsive communication.
- Unlimited paid time off — vacation, sick, and personal days will not be tracked.
- Work-related travel — You will be asked to travel with our team 4-5 times throughout the year to drone industry conferences and team-building events like InterDrone, Commercial UAV Expo, XPONENTIAL, drone film festivals, our team retreat and other opportunities that may arise.
- Competitive compensation.
What We’re Looking For
To support our 2020 objectives, you should exhibit the following competencies:
- Strong writing skills — understands tone, grammar and style and has a track record of publishing or managing the production of high-quality written content.
- Strong project management skills — can plan ahead, track progress and identify roadblocks in order to meet deadlines and goals. Communicates clearly and often. Able to work within tight deadlines, adjust to changes in priorities, and balance short-term needs with long-term strategic initiatives.
- Attention to detail — executes flawlessly and does not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Proactive problem solving — takes the initiative to create improvements and push forward initiatives. Brings ideas to the table.
- Flexibility / adaptability — adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Strategic thinking / visioning — able to build marketing strategies to meet goals. Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Analytical mindset — takes a step-by-step approach to thinking to break down complex problems into single and manageable components. Uses numbers / data points to make informed strategic decisions.
- Marketing software knowledge — strong working knowledge of how systems like WordPress, HubSpot, Google Analytics, Zapier, etc. work and integrate.
- Strong communication — speaks and writes clearly and articulately and communicates often to keep team members updated.
- Strong people management — effectively hires and manages freelancers and cooperates with other team members to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Provides feedback — delivers candid, actionable feedback in a professional manner to freelancers and to other team members.
In addition to exhibiting each of the job competencies above, you should have:
- A strong interest in the drone / small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS) industry.
- 4-5+ years of marketing experience with a track record of success in written content, SEO, email marketing, and/or video marketing campaigns.
How to Apply
Please fill out this form: