DJI Launches New Drone for Enterprise with Modular Accessories and 24 GB of Onboard Data Storage | DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise
BY Isabella Lee29 October 2018
DJI just released a new drone for professionals—the Mavic 2 Enterprise. It offers uniquely powerful features designed for businesses, governments, educators and other professionals that seek to transform their operations with drone technology.
Mavic 2 Enterprise is the most compact, powerful, reliable and safe tool to help professionals integrate drones into their operations.
—Roger Luo, President, DJI
Like the Mavic 2 Pro, the Mavic 2 Enterprise features an ultra-compact and foldable design for portability. The Enterprise also features advanced modular accessories that extend users’ capabilities during critical operations like firefighting, emergency response, law enforcement, and infrastructure inspections.
Enterprise use of drones has been on the rise, with a 2018 study reporting over 900 fire, police, and emergency agencies currently using drones in their operations.
Drones are incredible tools that can make our rescuers more efficient, simplify some of our tasks and provide affordable protection from the skies. That is a big deal. We are always looking for a better way to serve our community. With the use of drones, lives are going to be saved.
—Dean Morales, Fire Captain, Mesa Fire & Medical Department
Let’s review some of the specs and new features of the DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise.
DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Specs
The DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise rounds out the three-prong release of the DJI Mavic 2 series, which also includes the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom for consumer and commercial drone operators. The Enterprise offers many of the same features of the Pro and Zoom, such as a foldable design and zoom capabilities, but it is better suited to enterprise tasks such as inspections or search-and-rescue.
Here are some of the Mavic 2 Enterprise specs that stand out most:
- High-res camera with 2x optical zoom and 3x digital zoom: Mavic 2 Enterprise carries a high-resolution, 12-megapixel camera that is stabilized by a three-axis gimbal for smooth, stable video and images. Designed for dynamic operations, the camera extends the pilot’s sense of sight with a 2x optical and 3x digital zoom capability. This zoom technology profoundly improves the ability of drones to identify and inspect dangerous or difficult areas, as well as to help emergency services protect life and property.
- 4K video resolution with Ocusync 2.0 video and data transmission system: Ocusync 2.0 delivers such a strong high definition video transmission feed back to the pilot that it could be received up to nearly five miles (eight km) away, though all drone pilots must follow applicable laws about keeping drones within their line of sight.
- Maximum flight time of up to 31 minutes and a top speed of 72 kph (45 mph): Mavic 2 Enterprise uses DJI’s FOC propulsion motors combined with efficient propellers for quieter and more efficient flight, delivering a maximum flight time of up to 31 minutes and a top speed of 72 kph (45 mph).
- Self-heating battery: A new self-heating battery developed specifically for Mavic 2 Enterprise allows the drone to perform reliably in adverse weather conditions as low as -10 Celsius (14 Fahrenheit).
- Omnidirectional obstacle sensing: The Advanced Pilot Assistance System (APAS) allows the drone to sense and automatically avoid obstacles in front of and behind it, providing additional safety—especially for new pilots and when flying in areas with obstacles or rugged terrain.
- Takeoff weight (without accessories) of 905 grams (2 pounds): The DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise is much lighter than DJI’s other top professional drones including the Matrice 200 Series and Matrice 600.
Check out the full Mavic 2 Enterprise spec sheet on DJI.
Mavic 2 Enterprise Modular Technology Expands the Capabilities of Drones
With the Mavic 2 Enterprise, modular accessories enable new capabilities. Operators can mount new DJI accessories onto the drone’s body and operate them through the flight control app. These accessories open new paths for pilots to communicate and work from the air, moving drones beyond imaging tools and into configurable platforms that enhance aerial productivity.
The Mavic 2 Enterprise accessories include:
- M2E Spotlight – A dual spotlight with a brightness of 2,400 lumens aids operators in carrying out missions in dark or low-light areas. Spotlight is ideal for search and rescue as well as inspection applications.
- M2E Speaker – A loudspeaker with a maximum projection of 100 decibels (1-meter distance) lets pilots play up to 10 custom voice recordings on demand, providing a communications channel to nearby individuals that can be critical during lifesaving emergency operations.
- M2E Beacon – Designed with U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Night Waiver standards in mind, the M2E Beacon features a bright flashing strobe visible three miles away. This helps pilots carry out missions in low-light conditions or at night much more safely, and provides additional airspace awareness for operators of nearby drones and traditional aircraft.
A Safer Drone For Enterprise Drone Operators
An industry first, Mavic 2 Enterprise incorporates 24 GB of onboard data storage and password protection, creating accountability for all access to the drone’s functions and stored data. When Password Protection is enabled, users are required to enter their password each time they activate the drone, link the remote controller with the drone, and access the drone’s onboard storage, giving them full, exclusive use and enhanced security. This provides secure access to the drone and its onboard data storage while protecting that data even if the drone is physically compromised.
A new GPS timestamping feature encodes the time, date, and location of every recorded image, aiding in pilot accountability and ensuring that data captured by the drone can be trusted and used in situations from reviewing critical infrastructure inspections to potential legal proceedings.
In addition, Mavic 2 Enterprise users with heightened data security concerns can use DJI’s Local Data Mode feature which, when activated, will stop the user’s connected mobile device from sending or receiving any data over the internet. This provides added security assurances for operators of flights involving critical infrastructure, governmental projects or other sensitive missions.
Not only does the DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise keep your data safe, but it also works hard to keep the operator and people nearby safe as well. Every Mavic 2 Enterprise comes equipped with DJI’s AirSense technology to help improve pilots’ situational awareness and enhance airspace safety. AirSense uses an integrated receiver to automatically alert drone pilots of ADS-B signals from nearby airplanes and helicopters, providing real-time positioning alerts through the DJI Pilot mobile app. This provides an extra level of safety for professional drone operators who fly in congested airspace or near complicated operations, such as wildfire suppression, disaster recovery, and infrastructure monitoring.
Mavic 2 Enterprise Price and Availability
The Mavic 2 Enterprise is available for purchase through authorized DJI Enterprise resellers worldwide.
The US retail price of a Mavic 2 Enterprise Universal Edition which includes an aircraft, a remote controller, one battery, all three mountable accessories and a protector case with flight tools, is $1,999 USD. A Fly More Kit which includes two batteries, one battery charging hub, one car charger, one USB connector, one soft case and two propellers is also available to users for $419 USD.
Watch DJI’s video below to get more insight into the applications of the Mavic 2 Enterprise.